Pages

The Music of the West



'Here will we sit and let the sounds of music
Creep in our ears: soft stillness and the night
Become the touches of sweet harmony.'

______________


'If music be the food of love, play on,
Give me excess of it; that surfeiting,
The appetite may sicken, and so die.'
     
                                  William Shakespeare
_________________________________


THE GREATEST MONUMENT TO MUSIC

'Vier letzte Lieder'
von 
Richard Strauss
'Beim Schlafengehen'
from a poem by
Hermann Hesse

'Now that the day has made me tired,
it is my ardent desire
that the friendly starry night
receives me like a tired child.

Let your hands cease their work
Brow, forget all your thoughts;
All my senses now
want to sink into slumber.
And then the soul, unguarded,
would to soar in free flight,
to join the magic circles of night
to live there deeply, a thousand times.'

No comments:

Post a Comment